4.19.2008

soup for you

It's not quite summer, so if you have an afternoon free you should make this awesome soup. (I guess I think of soup as a winter/fall/sorta spring thing) I made it when a friend was sick and also my grandmother was here and both asked me for the recipe. I haven't given it to them yet so feel special I'm sharing it with you first.
This will make a whole lot of soup, like for 10 people…you can obviously cut the measurements down as you please but this is how I remember making it and I can't be bothered to do the conversions for you.

Ingredients:
1/2ish cup butter
1 1/2 finely chopped onion (I used yellow)
sliced carrots, as many as you want
3/4ish cup all-purpose flour
7-1/2ish cups chicken broth (I used 4 cans of low fat/low sodium broth)
2 cups wild rice (Rinse half way through so your kitchen doesn’t stink too badly.) (Pretty sure I had 2 uncooked cups)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 package (1 lb?) of spicy Italian sausage
3 tablespoons and 2-1/4 teaspoons dry sherry
2-1/2 cups half-and-half (or 2ish cups 1/2n1/2 and about a cup of milk)

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and carrots and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Then add the flour and stir well. Gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, until all has been added. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer. *I forgot to cook the rice before hand so I let this simmer for about an hour while the rice cooked.
Add the rice, chicken, sausage and sherry. Allow to heat through, and then pour in the half-and-half/milk. Let simmer while you set the table and wash your pans… *Do not boil or your roux will break; at least that’s what I’ve heard, I’ve never tried it.

Add salt to taste, it’ll bring down the spiciness of the sausage. Pretty sure my dad added salt when I wasn't looking & I have no idea how much he added. Add more milk to thin it out

yummy yummy

No comments: